Monday, February 16, 2009

Question 3: Experiences in Nature

I can't think of one grand experience in nature, but I do have fond memories of just getting outside and enjoying nature. My parents weren't exactly tree huggers, but they did make sure that us kids, spent a fair amount of our childhood outside. As a kid, one of my favorite games to play with my cousins was "Indians" outside in the woods by my grandparents' house. The older cousins would lead the younger ones on a great adventure to find sticks for the firewood, stones for the special places we would design, and countless other wonders that my adult brain is no longer privy to remember. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of those games in those woods. Our childish innocence yet wild exploration of the world and nature around us, amazes me. I also have had some really great encounters with nature as an adult, but again in a very innocent, nature walk type adventure. A simple walk away from the hustle and bustle of the city, whether it be in West Virginia or in the hills of Germany, always manages to stir something in my soul. As much as I love living in a city, I'm still a country girl at heart, and every few months I get an itch and simply must get out and really enjoy nature, with a good, long, quiet walk amongst nature.

That said, in order for me to continue to enjoy the peace and serenity that nature grants me, of course I think it's important for us to preserve and "save" nature. I think going out into nature, reminds us that not only did we not create nature, but we have no right to destroy it. Even if you want to save nature for the sole reason because it is pretty, (despite its many other benefits and purposes) nature must be saved, and I hope that is something everyone can agree on.

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment